Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Being the Change I Want To See

I've been thinking about starting this blog for a while. I don't know what I'm hoping to get out of it; maybe it's nothing more than a way to hold myself accountable, or maybe it's because I'm hoping for some cheerleaders and partners in the change I'm wanting to make.

Here's the deal - This world is a mess. Violence is as normal to our everyday life as, say, drinking coffee. Even the disgusting, horrible tragedy in Newtown Connecticut has become a market, a way for celebrities and politicians to voice their opinion. Our society applauses immorality, nudity, and violence (whether they're willing to admit it or not) and despise those of us who choose to spend our lives raising our children and serving God, our husbands, and our community.

I've been a work at home/stay at home mom for a couple of years, but I haven't embraced the role as I should. I've become a lover of the world. Every day I see women AND men walking around with the behinds hanging out. Boys (and grown men) wear their pants so that we see their underwear. Women wear shirts so low one sneeze will expose their entire chest. No...I'm not a prude. I like a fart joke, toilet humor, and a good action flick as much as the next person. But we have become a society of slobs. We no longer teach morals and values to our children. They have no pride in how they look, nor do they feel they have to work hard to be the best - society tells them there are no winners or losers.

Here's one example of the common attire of our society:
How about this shopper:

When did this become acceptable? When did it become okay to let your rear end hang out? I was raised to cover myself, to make sure my "private parts" weren't visible.

What happened to this?

These women were sexy, they dressed with class, they cared about their appearance.

I am in no way saying we should obsess over our appearance. Trust me, there are many, MANY days when I leave my house without makeup. Unfortunately, I have also began to leave the house in my pajamas, or dirty clothes and disheveled hair. How can anyone take me seriously or have respect for me when I'm showing I don't have respect for myself?

I'm fully aware this blog is a bit rambling, but I have so much to say. Here's the point of this blog - I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. I will no longer leave my house looking like a slob. I will wear clean clothes in good condition, even wearing skirts or dresses when appropriate. Our grandmothers only wore skirts and dresses in public, why can't we? Okay, I won't be doing that often, but that's because I don't own very many.

I will also take on my role as mother and housewife with self-respect, striving to keep a clean home, keep the laundry from constantly getting backed up, and the refridgerator well stocked with healthy food and snacks. I'm determined to become as close to a fifties housewife as possible.

Will anyone join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment