Friday, July 4, 2014

Taking back society, one kitchen table at a time.

About eight or so years ago I took the kids on vacation to this quaint little place called Fox Springs Lodge. Every meal was served in the dining room, and the owners of the place, as well as their children, joined us every day. During one of our little get-togethers the owner said something that stuck with me to this day: Eat dinner as a family.



That sounds so simple, doesn't it? Yeah, but think about this - when was the last time you set the table (or if your kids were old enough, you had them set it while you cooked) and sat at the table as a family, and actually talked?


My husband and I formed a habit at one point where I'd bring our plates into our family room and he and I would eat on the couch while the kids sat at the table. One night I made something that required everyone to make their own plate (tacos with ALL the fixings), so I set the table. My daughter walked into the room and said "Are we going to eat like a family tonight?" Talk about a blow to the gut. Since that day we eat almost every single meal at the table together. Don't get me wrong, there are times when we'll still eat separately, but that's usually because the kids eat before my husband gets home for work. Or, like last night, he gets home well after we've had dinner so he'll sit with us while he's eating his dinner.


Maybe you can't immediately put in your resignation to stay home with your kids (if that's even a possibility for you), but why not set a specific time when everyone HAS to be home, phones off, and sitting at the table. This is a great time to discuss the day, talk about something fun that happed at school/work/practice/ whatever. If you're really brave (I am not!) let the older kids help you cook. I personally don't like anyone in there when I'm cooking, but that's because I tend to get a little distracted and will walk around the kitchen with a butcher knife in my hand! lol


We can do this, guys and gals. We can bring back family life in this country, and we don't need the government, or the news, or some stupid Facebook meme to tell us to do it.


*I found this article about the benefits of family meal time. Give it a gander.*

No comments:

Post a Comment