Monday, August 31, 2015

Am I JUST a Housewife?

I've come to the conclusion that I'll probably never work outside the home again. Between my daughter needing me accessible 24/7 (people don't want to hire someone with an unreliable schedule) and my inability to drive 15-20 days out of the month, not to mention no marketable skills (other than writing, of course) or formal education, getting a job doesn't seem like it's in the cards. But is it such a bad thing to be a housewife? Someone asked the question here, but no one really had an answer.

On a good day, I fancy myself Donna Reed or Doris Day. I do my hair and makeup, don a dress and apron, and flutter around my house making it beautiful.
It makes me happy. A clean and organized house makes me happy. My family drooling over what I made for dinner makes me happy. But being happy and making my family happy doesn't exactly pay the bills.
Since the day I stopped working outside the home (daycares don't allow teenagers, regardless of their disabilities) I've felt somewhat guilty that I don't contribute financially to our family. Sure, I sell books and even sometimes make more than a few dollars on my royalty checks, but that doesn't exactly keep a house afloat. But is the guilt rational? Is this something I've been ingrained with because of societal demands? What happened to having respect for those men or women who stayed home and ran the household? Why is it when I tell someone I'm a housewife, I immediately follow it up with "but I'm an author, too", as if being a housewife isn't a good enough "job"?




3 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and this post is exactly the reason that I too have started the 1950's housewife experiment. I am so tired of people's judging gazes when I say I am a homemaker. The constant questioning has made me question my own happiness in my decision. I am only 6 days in but I am finding a renewed pride in my chosen full-time job! Personally, I am finding the job of investing in my family to be the most important one I could do. I hope you are feeling that way as well! So happy I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post, thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sweetie! I've just come across your site and I'm loving it. To be honest this whole feeling of whether a particular career choice is 'good enough' could perhaps be applicable to any career. Maybe there are school teachers or doctors even CEO's that still feel that way. I always feel that way not just as an employee, it's lingered since my school days etc. It's an internal state. Maybe look for an example of women that enjoy and are openly proud and content with being a housewife. Being a good, caring and productive person is enough in life- it's all that matters! There are lot's of women that aspire to be a housewife (myself included) it just depends on the pool of people you encounter.
    Just own it darling!
    Hugs from Catherine in England

    ReplyDelete