Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I'm a Glamorous Author....aren't we all?


When I was a little girl I read Charlotte's Web; it devastated me. Why the HELL did they have to kill Charlotte? (Mind you, I've always been terrified of spiders, yet Charlotte was different somehow) At six years old I rewrote the ending of one of the most beloved books. Okay, it wasn't very good, somewhere along the lines of "Charlotte lives and her babies live and they all stay with Wilbur forever and no body kills Wilbur." Oh, and it was very misspelled - give me some slack, I was six!

Fast forward thirty years and I'm still writing. Gotta tell you, my image of a professional writer is so much different than reality. Do you remember seeing the movie She-Devil with Roseanne Barr and Meryl Streep? Okay, maybe you didn't see it, as most with any taste in movies laugh at me when I talk about it. There's a point in bringing it up. Meryl Streep is a romance writer in this movie, and has a very specific image. This is what most people picture when they think of writers:
Pink hat, pink clothing, pink laptop, and iced drink at hand. I mean, isn't this how EVERY writer looks while working? Ha...HA.....HAHAHAHA! You want to see a little reality?

Yes, that's me working on my latest book. No zooming in!

The reality is we (as in those of us who work from home) tend to stay in our pajamas, we go hours into the day without brushing our hair, and so many of us write wherever we're comfortable. I'll spend a few hours like I am in this pic, then flip to another couch. At some point the laptop will end up on the coffee table with me hunching over it, before I'll finally give up and have to walk around to stretch out my back. Between the wrist issues and the neck and back pain, this is a very NOT glamorous job! lol

There's a site on the web by Paige Cuccaro who has one of the coolest pages. If you haven't checked out The Writers Cave you need to head over there now! Seriously...now....GO! I'll be here when you get back. Good? Did you like it? I TOLD you so! Wow...I just realized I not only talk to myself, and to my fictional characters, but now I'm talking to my readers on the blog like they can hear me.

Anyway, I would love to see you writing. If you're a reader, send me a pic of you reading. Do you have a specific place you work/read? Are you only comfortable once you have your coffee, cigarettes, chocolate, etc?




No comments:

Post a Comment