Monday, January 9, 2017

Glamorous Housewife or Work at Home Mom?

Or can we be both? I strive daily to look at least presentable to my husband. The Retro Housewife Life once did a blog on this topic, and for the life of me, I can't find it. But the page is still beyond worth looking at. I LOVE Nicole's take on being a housewife.

But, I digress. There was a time when people truly believed we should be almost perfect when our husbands came home from work. Hell, there was even a song written about this topic. When you get a chance, head over to YouTube and listen to Wives and Lovers. In the meantime, here are the lyrics:

Hey, little girl
Comb your hair, fix your make-up
Soon he will open the door
Don't think because
There's a ring on your finger
You needn't try any more
For wives should always be lovers, too
Run to his arms the moment he comes home to you
I'm warning you
Day after day
There are girls at the office
And men will always be men
Don't send him off
With your hair still in curlers
You may not see him again
For wives should always be lovers, too
Run to his arms the moment he comes home to you
He's almost here
Hey,

The song has been covered by several artists, but my favorite version is by Dionne Warwick. Anyway, while I don't take the words to that song to heart, I have to wonder how much value it has. Of course, any husband who would cheat or leave simply because their overly tired wife isn't donning a pretty dress and perfect hair and makeup doesn't deserve a good wife. But, have we become so comfortable in our marriages we no longer care, that we no longer try?

As I sit here writing this, I'm wearing makeup, have on cute clothes (although not at all vintage. Most of my vintage clothes are for the summer, and frankly, I'm freezing right now), but my hair isn't curled. I let it dry naturally, so my long hair is just kind of hanging down my back. Oh, and I'm not wearing lipstick. Why? Because Loreal's Infallible lipstick is NOT worth the money. It peels and flakes and ended up on my teeth within ten minutes. Grrrr. My favorite is a brand from Sephora, and the dang label is worn off so I can't even tell you what it is.

Man, once again, I've run off on a tangent. Sorry about that. Back to our topic. Looking good for our spouses....or at least making an effort. Yesterday, I had to run some errands and wore nothing more than a sweatshirt and jeans. Did my husband complain? Of course not. But, I'll show you what I would normally look like...



These are two of my favorite go-to outfits.

Even when I have to do housework, I try to at least look somewhat pulled together. It actually has worked to my benefit on more than one occasion when I got an unexpected visitor or had to run out the door on short notice. I'll post a couple more pics, but keep in mind, they look so good because my sister is a professional photographer. But these are a few of my favorite summer time outfits, as well.




This one was taken by Rutster Photography for a calendar shoot I was involved in.

Obviously, the hair takes a little more effort, but if you can get used to sleeping in rollers (I prefer the Pillow Rollers), the next day all you have to do is brush the curls out and shape. Seriously only takes about thirty minutes from start of makeup to end of hair.

The heels? Nope. Those are for pics and special occasions. Because of my arthritic knees and stupid plantar fasciitis, I can only tolerate heels for short periods of time. So, I wear Mary Janes, Saddle back oxfords, or even Chuck Taylor's.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you don't have to spend a butt load of money or even spend hours to look good for the day. Hell, put on a clean, nice shirt, swipe on some mascara, and brush your hair. You'd be amazed at how your attitude changes for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment