Saturday, March 7, 2020

Cleaning and cleanliness tips for these scary times...

Okay. Maybe they're not all that scary, but you got to admit, the news sure does have a lot of people in a panic. So, after seeing so many people on Facebook saying they haven't been able to find this or that in stores because they're all sold out, I figured I'd make a helpful post.

First:
"Oh no! There's no hand soap!"

Y'all! A bar of Ivory will do the same thing, even if it isn't as convenient as pumping that little thing on top of a bottle of hand soap. If you're worried public bathrooms might be out, throw a small bar in a plastic baggy and toss it into your purse.

Second:
"I can't find any hand sanitizer."

Grocery stores aren't the only places to carry these. Look at your local feed and farm stores, big box stores, pharmacies, even shop online.

Third:
"I can't find any cleaning products!"

I posted these before, but here you go! Household cleaner, disinfectant wipes, even glass cleaner! All-natural and does the same thing as any of those store-bought cleaners! I copied and pasted from the post a few years back.

3-1 Household Cleaner
(All purpose, Window/mirror, Air freshener)

1 C White vinegar
2 C water
1 Tbsp dish soap
30 drops of essential oil

I just funnel these ingredients into whatever empty spray bottle I have. I've been using a 409 bottle for years, but you can go purchase a new spray bottle if you'd like and just write or print out a label of what's in the bottle.

TIP:
I tend to use lavender, orange, or lemon in my cleaning products. But recently I started adding peppermint. Over at Housewife How-To's she said peppermint helps to deter mice, ants, and even roaches. I live in the country and I can tell you the peppermint has definitely helped with the ants! I haven't seen one in months!

Household Disinfecting Wipes (reusable)
Mason jar or some sealable glass jar (wide-mouthed)
2 C water (distilled preferably)
1 C white vinegar
Your choice of essential oils. My fave is:
15 drops lavender
5 drops lemon
5 drops Tea Tree oil
cut up squares of fabric of your choice. I cut up an old flannel nightgown, but you can use t-shirts, washcloths, etc.

Just put the squares of fabric in the jar, Mix the ingredients in a bowl and pour the cleaner over the cloths. You can just throw the cloth in the wash after each use. No more landfill waste, no more wasted money.


Window Cleaner:
If you're worried about using soap or essential oils on your glass or mirrors just use vinegar and water with a microfiber cloth.


Here are some sites with natural and homemade cleaning products that I love:
Houselogic - This site has a comparison of different laundry detergents and how they worked for her.
Housewife How-To's - She has great money-saving tips, cleaning tips (love her book on the 30 days to a clean house), and how to build a schedule among other things!
Keeper of the Home - has a ton of homemade cleaning products, as well as tips on housekeeping, children, cooking, etc.


Is there another product you'd like to see an alternative to? Leave me a comment and I'll find it for you! Keep those hands washed, cover your mouth when you cough, and please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!, please stay home if you're sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment