Friday, February 21, 2020

Why can't they ever help?

I noticed the moment I went back to work, the rest of the household forgot there are chores to be done. I'd been doing them on my own for so many years, it's as if they all thought some kind of dust fairy took care of everything.

When I first made the decision to go back to work, I made sure we had a family meeting. I wanted to make sure they were all on board with my decision. I also wanted to make sure I wouldn't continue carrying one hundred percent of the responsibilities on my shoulders. They all agreed. Now, there is only one child still remaining at home, and she's my child (adult child) with mental disabilities. Still, she's fully capable of wiping down counters and such. And there's also my husband. Yet, here I am, begging for help, asking the other family members to rinse their dishes and put them in the dishwasher, etc. OH! Forgot to mention we finally got a dishwasher. It has been a lifesaver since I went back to work.

Perhaps I spoiled them when I was home for ten years. At that point, I felt it was my job. I ran my home like a business, complete with a homemaker's binder. Maybe it's time to make a new one and include the other two family members in its creation, let them feel like they had a part in planning and scheduling the daily chores. Since there are only three of us and two dogs, I feel the house should remain clean. I understood when there were five of us and no dishwasher. Not any more. A place for everything and everything in its place.

One of the things I've been doing in hopes of helping the DD and DH get on board is purging unnecessary items from the home. I'm hoping if there are fewer things to clean and put away, there will be less stress when I ask for help.

What ways have you found to help get the other family members involved in the running of your household? Do you send the husband with a grocery list? Do you divvy out chores on the weekends? Let me hear any and all ideas!

Until next time, have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment